Custody of and access to children:

If you have children, and are going through the process of a separation or divorce, perhaps the greatest cause of stress and discord are the questions surrounding what will happen to the children following the breakdown of your marriage.

  • Who will have custody?
  • Where will the children live during the separation?
  • How will they be affected?

The family law specialist at Allen Madelin will provide answers to these questions and provide you with expert advice and guidance. You’ll be able to rest assured that your best interests, and the best interests of your children, are being taken care of from a legal perspective by our experienced legal team. This will allow you to focus your attention on your family during this difficult time.

Interjurisdictional custody and access disputes:

In today’s global economy, it is fairly common for people and families to move across provincial and international borders. This can become a complicating factor in the context of family law, particularly where children are involved. When cases extend beyond borders, before the usual child-related issues regarding custody, access, and support can be addressed, it must first be decided what court will ultimately determine these issues.

Dealing with the additional logistical and practical challenges that mobility issues present can be overwhelming. One of the first questions that arises in mobility and interjurisdictional custody cases is where to initiate court proceedings. It is very important to ensure that proceedings are initiated in the correct jurisdiction to avoid unnecessary additional costs and delay of having to “start over” in the proper jurisdiction once it is determined.

In cases where a family or part of the family has lived in numerous jurisdictions, determining the appropriate jurisdiction can be complicated, and it is beneficial to have the assistance and guidance of an experienced family law lawyer in this regard. In cases where one parent moves with the children without the consent of the other parent, it is very important to seek the help of an experienced family law lawyer as soon as possible in order to ensure that the situation is dealt with properly.

If you are facing an interjurisdictional custody dispute, you need to retain professional and experienced representation from an excellent family law lawyer.

Contact the Montreal family law lawyers at Allen Madelin to discuss your options today; 514 904 4017. We offer affordable rates and ensure a commitment to pursuing you and your families best interests.