Children’s Rights

In the event of family disputes,

  • Does your child need to be represented?
  • Would your child like to have his or her point of view heard and his or her interests defended in your separation or divorce proceedings?
  • Are you separating and you want your child to be represented by a lawyer?
  • Has your child asked to have separate counsel from you?

Consulting a lawyer will allow your child to express his or her interests and to be heard by the Court if their age and maturity allow. A lawyer may also be appointed by the Court to represent the child in the context of the dispute between his or her parents. Thus mandated counsel will represent the child before the judge to express his/her interests.